Family, Friend And Neighbor Care

Family, Friend And Neighbor Care

Caring for the children of family, friends or neighbors is incredibly important work that comprises a significant portion of early childhood care in Colorado.  Parents often ask family, friends, and neighbors to care for their children because of economic reasons and/or because there is a high level of trust, flexibility, and shared values between the care provider and the parents.

Why Is Family, Friend, And Neighbor Care Important?

FFN CoverAn examination of the data shows that we need family, friend, and neighbor care.  In 2011, Colorado had enough licensed child care to provide for only 43 percent of children under age 6 who have both parents in the workforce.  The remaining 57 percent of children are cared for by a family member, friend, or neighbor while their parents are at work.

Connecting Family, Friend, And Neighbor Care To The Early Childhood System

Grand Beginnings builds upon the desire of home-based care providers to deliver the highest-quality care possible.  We aim to work with the unique situation of each home care provider to offer them the resources and education necessary to encourage healthy development, inclusion, and school-readiness for all children under their care.

Contact us to learn more about care-provider networking opportunities in Grand County and how you can improve the quality of your home-based care, licensed or not.

Are you interested in becoming a licensed home-based care provider?  If so, visit our Licensing Information page to learn more.